The payroll clerk position is accountable for collecting timekeeping information, incorporating a variety of deductions into a periodic payroll, and issuing pay and pay-related information to employees. The Payroll Clerk processes the bi-weekly payroll, assist with payroll related accruals, and performs the reconciliation of the payroll accounts.
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of biweekly payroll for over 150 employees.
- Review and ensure accuracy of approved timesheets and expense reports.
- Track and deduct all garnishments and other special payroll deductions.
- Maintains payroll information by collecting, calculating, and entering data.
- Updates payroll records by entering changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and department/division/group transfers.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Determines payroll liabilities by calculating employee federal and state income and social security taxes and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Responsible for the coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, and other departments to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, overtime, leave balances, head count, etc.)
- Establish/maintain payroll related employee records; ensure that employee changes are entered correctly and made on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization and adherence to policies including compliance with federal/state/local regulations.
- Resolves payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains payroll operations by following policies and procedures; reporting needed changes.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current and future payroll related developments and maintain compliance of the company with related regulation.
- Identify deficiencies and develop alternative processes and solutions under direction of the Accounting Manager.
- Submit regular, detailed reports to the CFO summarizing key payroll related information and statistics on a monthly basis.
- Assist the Accounting Manager and the CFO in payroll related projects.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner in compliance with company policies.
- Project proper corporate image when representing the Company – internal and external.
Associate Degree in Business Administration/Finance required, Accounting Degree preferred.
Three plus years in a Payroll Office performing all payroll functions, three years additional payroll office experience in lieu of Associate's degree; strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated payroll accounting system; ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion; excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy; strong organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure; ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines.
- “WorkforceNow”/ADP Payroll proficiency.
- Empower/Fidelity/401(k) proficiency.
- Knowledge of multi-state payroll.
- Knowledge of wage withholding orders and garnishments.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment.
- Ability to work independently in a time sensitive and highly confidential environment.
- Must possess sound decision-making skills and multi-task while working in an environment of stress with specific deadlines.
Maintain Personnel and System Records:
- Keep payroll related employee records and computer records updated with current employee information, i.e. rates, W4 status, benefit status, address or telephone numbers, etc.
- Up-keep of I-9 documentation.
- Prepare bi-weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly payroll related accruals and reconciliations.
- Complete payroll related employment verification based on HR department requests.
- Ability to answer questions regarding payroll policies and the employee handbook.
- Review and propose updates to the employee handbook on a regular basis.
- Supervisory skills to lead and direct personnel in a positive and professional manner.
- Strong computer skills required: Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel), ADP/Workforcenow, Empower/Fidelity/401(k).
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are required for this position.
- Good interpersonal skills – ability to liaise at all levels.
- Outgoing, personable, responsible, self-motivated, and confident.
- Potential to relocate to the Muskegon, MI area for this position.
- Reasonable accommodation, upon request, and if feasible, may be made on behalf of individuals with disabilities or if regarded as disabled that they may perform the essential functions.